Re: [OT] Flag coding (was: Re: Tags and future new technologies [...])

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 08:06:59 +0100 (BST)

Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:

> I think this is getting off-topic for Unicode, though I know Philippe thinks of it as the basis for a great addition to Unicode.

My opinion is that Philippe has put forward a good idea and that it is worthy of serious consideration for encoding.

Unicode Committees and ISO Committees could be involved. For Unicode, the code points could be encoded by the Unicode Technical Committee yet the encodings for individual flags using those code points could be carried out by another Unicode Committee, which particular committee being a matter to be decided.

An interesting spin-off could be that the introduction of such an encoding could lead to the introduction of chromatic font technology by industry.

William Overington