Re: half-brackets in the Supplemental Punctuation block

From: Stephan Stiller <sstiller_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:11:48 -0700

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for your opinion. The examples I've just checked looked like
"zero-width or almost so" (Friedl) and "very narrow" (in a Japanese
dictionary, ISBN 978-4-7674-2315-9) to me. I am pretty sure I've seen
zero-width with either kana or romaji, just can't find a reference right
now. I think there are use instances. What "should" be done is also a
good question, and perhaps the answer isn't as obvious as I thought, but
these considerations make me wonder whether a font is really free to
make a choice about zero-width or not for any given Unicode symbol. If
not, I'm wondering whether Unicode could/should/does make that binary
decision. And in either case I'm wondering for /which/ characters in
Unicode zero-width is an option (or obligatory).

Stephan