CLDR 21.0.2: New T Extensions for language/locale identifiers

From: <announcements_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 13:42:19 -0700

New T Extension fields and subfields [RFC 6497
<http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6497.txt>] are now available for use in
BCP47 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47> and Unicode Locale/Language
Identifiers
<http://unicode.org/reports/tr35/#Unicode_Language_and_Locale_Identifiers>.
These T extensions provide for the identification of transforms that can
be used for tagging content or requesting resources. The new T extension
fields and subfields are defined in the following files, as part of the
CLDR 21.0.2 release <http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-21-0-2>:

    * i0 - Input Method Transformations: bcp47/transform_ime.xml
      <http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/tags/release-21-0-2/common/bcp47/transform_ime.xml>
    * k0 - Keyboard Transformations: bcp47/transform_keyboard.xml
      <http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/tags/release-21-0-2/common/bcp47/transform_keyboard.xml>
    * m0 - Machine Translations: bcp47/transform_mt.xml
      <http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/tags/release-21-0-2/common/bcp47/transform_mt.xml>
    * x0 - Private Use fields: bcp47/transform_private_use.xml
      <http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/tags/release-21-0-2/common/bcp47/transform_private_use.xml>

For example:

    * "zh-t-i0-pinyin", to indicate Chinese text generated with a pinyin
      input method
    * "en-t-k0-dvorak", to identify a Dvorak keyboard for English
    * "it-t-k0-osx-extended", to request an extended Mac keyboard for
      Italian

The private use subfields can be used for private agreements, such as:

    * "ru-t-en-x0-mobile", to indicate a translation from English to
      Russian for use on a mobile device, or
    * "ja-t-de-m0-und-x0-medical", to identify a machine translation
      from German to Japanese with a specialized dictionary for medical
      terms.

Related to this, there is draft keyboard layout data currently slated
for CLDR 22.0: see Draft Keyboard Charts
<http://cldr.unicode.org/index/charts/keyboards>.

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements