Re: Mandombe

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:09:55 -0700

On 6/9/2012 12:56 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
> It is up to the UTC and to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2 to request serious evidence of use for things which seem of doubtful practicality, however.

> And in so saying, I'd like to see a shopping list, hastily written. Notes taken at speed in class. Personal signatures.

Practicality doesn't enter. If there's evidence of significant usage,
then that should suffice. I don't care whether there are shopping
lists.If someone publishes books in that script, for example, and can
point to significant sales - that's use. The reason for encoding is to
allow digitization of texts - and the reason for *standardization* of
this encoding is that text are shared by a significant user community
whether concurrently (as in living scripts) or asynchronously (as in
dead scripts). I would finally add the requirement that the user
community must be "open" - at least in principle - to warrant such
standardizatio.

If, to take a perhaps hypothetical case, only a small authorized group
were allowed to create documents in that script, then you could
legitimately question whether an *international standard* is the right
form of encoding.

Shopping lists or handwritten class notes still don't enter, unless they
lead to digital documents.

A./