Re: Romanized Singhala - Think about it again

From: Naena Guru <naenaguru_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:54:48 -0500

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> [...]
> > and teach them how to make fonts. (Search ICTA.lk). Staying friendly with
> > them is profitable. World bank backs you up too.
> > Sometime in 1990s when I was in Lanka, I tried to select a PC for my
> printer
> > brother. We wanted to buy Adobe, Quark Express etc. The store keeper
> gave a
> > list and asked us to select the programs. Knowing that they are
> expensive, I
> > asked him first to tell me how much they cost. He said that he will
> install
> > anything we wanted for free! The same trip coming back, in Zurich, the
> guys
> > tried to give me a illicit copy of Windows OS in appreciation for
> > installing German and Italian (or French?) code pages on their computers.
> >
> >> there even exists solutions for older versions of iPhone
> >> 4. OR on Android smartphones and tablets.
> >
> > Mine works in them with no special solution. It works anywhere that
> supports
> > Open Type -- no platform discrimination
> >>

> >> No one wants to get back to the situation that existed in the 1980's
> >> when there was a proliferation of non-interoperable 8 bit encodings
> >> for each specific platform.
> >
> > I agree. Today, 14 languages, including English, French, German and
> Italian
> > all share the same character space called ISO-8859-1. Romanized Singhala
> > uses the same. So, what's the fuss about? The font? Consider that as the
> oft
> > suggested IME. Haha!
> >>

> >> And your solution also does not work in multilingual contexts;
> >
> > If mine does not work in some multilingual context, none of the 14
> languages
> > I mentioned above including English and French don't either.
> >
> >> it does
> >> not work with many protocols or i18n libraries for applications.
> >
> > i18n is for multi-byte characters. Mine are single-byte characters. As
> you
> > see, the safest place is SBCS.
> >
> >> Or it
> >> requires specific constraints on web pages requiring complex styling
> >> everywhere to switch fonts.
> >
> > Did you see http://www.lovatasinhala.com? May be you are confusing
> Unicode
> > Sinhala and romanized Singhala. Unicode Sinhala has a myriad such
> problems.
> > That is why it should be abandoned! Please look at the web site and say
> it
> > more coherently, if I misunderstood you.
>
> You are once again confusing the Sinhalese language wit hthe Sinhalese
> script. May be Latin-1 is a good and sufficient script for
> transcribing the language. But Unicode is not made for standardizing
> transliterations. The script is what is being encoded, the way it is.
> Even if this script is deffective on some aspect for the language. As
> long as your transliteration scheme using Latin letters encodings is

You are very kind. So now I have fulfilled your order by providing a link
on the right side of the page to get rid of the Singhala font.

> But a font that represents Latin letters using Sinhalese glyphs is
> definitely broken. It will not work within multilingual contexts
> except when using many font switches in specific rich-text document
> formats.

I humbly suggest that you upgrade your software

> The problem you are trying to solve (proposing a new romanization for
> the Sinhalese language) is confused with the goal of the Unicode
> standard. Unicode is only about the encoding of scripts, not languages
> or their possible multiple romanizations.

You are perfectly right, sir.

> And if you use Latin-1 only, you absolutely don't need any OpenType
> feature in fonts, except for creating fine typographic effects such as
> decovrative ligatures, advanced kerning rules, or controling alternate
> forms such as swash letters or digits with variable heights.

I humbly suggest you read the OpenType standard:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/

> Mapping Sinhalese glyphs on top of Latin-1 to make the text simply
> readable by native Sinhalese readers that can't decipher the Latin
> script and your own romanization system is certainly not the way to
> go. It is clearly not conforming any approved standard.

Most humbly, I need the approval of the user only.