Re: ASSAMESE AND BENGALI CONTROVERSY IN UNICODE STANDARD ::::: SOLUTIONS

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 08:24:23 +0100

On 10 Jul 2012, at 02:49, Harshula wrote:

> a) Is that because you think, "It's just a waste of paper, if you want
> my opinion. Education is better." (as you told Shriramana Sharma)? In
> which case how does one educate the non-native Sinhala speakers that use
> the code chart if the traditional names do no appear on it?

Users of the code charts are usually programmers or font providers, who want to know things like "How do I make the kṣa ligature?" Those people need to know where KA and SSA are. ALPAPRAANA KAYANNA and MUURDHAHA SAYANNA are not nearly as useful to most users of the standard as KA and SSA are.

> b) Or is that because, like Doug Ewell, you think the transliterated name should have been the description and the traditional native name the annotation? e.g. You think it should appear like:
> 0D9A ක sinhala letter ka
> = SINHALA LETTER ALPAPRAANA KAYANNA

It would be

> 0D9A ක SINHALA LETTER KA
> = sinhala letter alpapraaa kayanna

And yes, if both names had to be there, it would have been better this way.

As I say, I was there when Sinhala was encoded, working with the NB. We worked well together. It was all very pleasant. Their rationale for not using KA KHA GA names, however, was really that they didn't want to be under the ISCII umbrella.