Re: Too narrowly defined: DIVISION SIGN & COLON

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:52:27 +0300

2012-07-10 15:33, Andrew West wrote:

> On 10 July 2012 11:50, Leif Halvard Silli
> <xn--mlform-iua_at_xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:
>>
>> My candidate characters, this round, are:
>>
>> DIVISION SIGN (÷) as minus sign.
>> COLON (:) as division sign.
>> MIDDLE DOT (·) as multiplication symbol.
>
> The last one is already encoded as U+22C5 DOT OPERATOR.
>
>> What's next? Would some formal action be needed?
>
> Yes. If you really want to propose them then you must submit a
> proposal form to Unicode and/or WG2:
>
> <http://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html>

I don’t think Leif meant proposing new characters. Instead, I suppose he
meant adding annotations to existing characters, changing the text of
the standards (probably in the code charts, though notes about uses of
individual characters also appear scattered around the chapters of the
standard, too).

Yucca