Re: Sorting Pali in Tibetan Script

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:57:39 +0100

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 01:12:35 +0600
Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/07/2012, Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
> wrote:

> I'm rather curious as to why you would want to know this, as I have
> never encountered Pali written in Tibetan script.

I was looking for a sound argument against a proposed simplification of
the Unicode Collation Algorithm, the 'interesting processing effect' I
mentioned in my original post. I was given hope that there might be a
demonstrable Tibetan script need by the second 'problem' with Pali in
Tibetan script at http://www.tipitaka.org/known-issues/tibetan.pdf .
However, I was wary of trusting information from a single site.

> the Tibetan script. If you really need to collate Pali written in
> Tibetan script in the correct order for Pali then you should probably
> create a specific tailoring.

My worry was that the algorithm change would make doing this more
difficult. However, it now seems that the proposal for the
simplification, and the claim that it had been approved, has now been
dropped. Apparently there is an Arabic script instance of the use of
the slight complexity of the current algorithm, which basically undoes
ill effects of inconvenient canonical ordering - something that's
annoyed you when composing Tibetan fonts.

Richard.