RE: ASSAMESE AND BENGALI CONTROVERSY IN UNICODE STANDARD ::::: SOLUTIONS

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:40:18 -0700

Christopher Fynn <chris dot fynn at gmail dot com> wrote:

> There are many characters in the standard which have
> probably been inappropriately named but due to the Unicode stability
> policy names of characters or scripts cannot be changed and that is
> something that has to be accepted.

A lot of people reply to threads like these, where someone is
complaining about Unicode character names, by pointing out that the
stability policy prohibits names from being changed and we just have to
deal with it. This tends to leave people with the impression that
Unicode is inappropriately rigid and the committees are stodgy and
out-of-touch.

I'd much rather take a different approach in this case, and point out
that WHETHER OR NOT the names can be changed, they do not cause a
technical problem in the use of the standard. The purpose of the
committees is to solve (or avoid) technical problems. They have done so
here.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­