Re: Too narrowly defined: DIVISION SIGN & COLON

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:35:10 -0700

The main point is that asserting a general preference in an annotation for ∶ to
express a ratio, as Asmus had in his formulation, is simply wrong and
counterproductive. (We are not going to change the world's usage from : to ∶
by fiat; and and the glyphic difference is quite subtle, and missing in a
great many fonts. Compare that with the difference between hyphen-minus and
minus, which is much more pronounced, and much better carried across fonts.)

The most that we could say is that in certain mathematical contexts ∶ is
preferred to : for expressing ratios, not that it is generally preferred.

By the way, here's your list with visible characters instead of the U+'s.

- HYPHEN-MINUS
− MINUS SIGN

/ SOLIDUS (Unicode 1.0 called it "SLASH")
∕ DIVISION SLASH

\ REVERSE SOLIDUS (Unicode 1.0 called it "BACKSLASH")
∖ SET MINUS

* ASTERISK *// you had U+003A = : instead of *.*
∗ ASTERISK OPERATOR

◦ WHITE BULLET
∘ RING OPERATOR

• BULLET