Re: Too narrowly defined: DIVISION SIGN & COLON

From: Hans Aberg <haberg-1_at_telia.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:33:59 +0200

On 11 Jul 2012, at 16:33, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>> If I try the code below in lualatex, then the 𝑩 and the 𝐁 both come
>> out typeset upright.
>
> There is a “literal” mode in unicode-math package just for that, check
> its manual for more details.

As for the ISO standards mentioned in section 5.2 "Bold style", I think they call for the use of sans-serif fonts. In pure math, one uses serif fonts, also for tensors, which do not have any fixed notation. Also, it is traditional to typeset variables in italics and constants in upright, but this has not been strictly adhered to, perhaps due to the lack of fonts. For example, it is possible to make difference between the imaginary unit i, a constant, and an index i, a variable, but it is rare to see the former in upright style, sometimes leading to funny formulas where they are mixed.

Unicode adds all variations: serif/sans serif, upright/italics. In principle, one could use all styles side-by-side indicating semantically different objects.

Hans