Re: Meaning of Numeric Type "digit"

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:02:10 +0100

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:08:44 +0530
Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at the two sets of Brahmi numbers would also be instructive...

There's nothing unexpected there. BRAHMI DIGIT ZERO...NINE have numeric
type "decimal", probably as the ancestral members of the
general category Nd. BRAHMI NUMBER ONE...NINE very sensibly get the
numeric type "digit" - their values are arguably context senitive, but
they do not exploit the place system.

U+11064 BRAHMI NUMBER ONE HUNDRED and U+11065 BRAHMI NUMBER ONE
THOUSAND, so far as I am aware, have no positional sensitivity
affecting their value.

Apparently U+1105B BRAHMI NUMBER TEN to U+1105E BRAHMI NUMBER FORTY do
have some positional use, being used for in combinations such as
<U+11065 U+1105B> for '10,000'. The available options seems to be to
either give them type "digit" and values 1 to 4, or type "numeric" and
values 10 to 40. I too would plump for numeric type "numeric" and
unsurprising values.

Richard.