Re: Too narrowly defined: DIVISION SIGN & COLON

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:07:16 +0100

On 2012-07-12, Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2012, at 22:20, Julian Bradfield wrote:
>
>> But wanting to do so would be crazy. My mu-nu ligature is, as far as I know, used only by me (and co-authors who let me do the typesetting), and so if Unicode has any sanity left, it would not encode it.
>
> Is it in print?

Of course it's in print. The true ligature is only in the tech reports
and preprints that I produced myself (e.g.
http://www.lfcs.inf.ed.ac.uk/reports/98/ECS-LFCS-98-385/index.html ).
The journal versions have a hacked symbol which is just mu nu kerned
to overlap appropriately. Sadly, this was before the days when
TeX systems were sufficiently well standardized that one had a
fighting chance of including fonts with the papers!

>> My colleagues in the Edinburgh PEPA group did try to get their pet symbol encoded (a bowtie where the two triangles overlap somewhat rather than just touching), but were refused; although that symbol now appears in hundreds of papers by dozens of authors from all over the world.
>
> If so, then it should be encoded.

The relevant person is on holiday at the moment, but I'll find out
from him the real story of the symbol. I think this was before the
supplementary planes opened up.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.