Re: BOM ambiguity?

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:38:26 -0700

> Null characters are almost always avoided in interchanged plain texts.
> This is not a practicle problem. The use of nulls as significant
> characters is extremely exceptional
Yes, but still I think that the BOM ambiguity needs to be documented. If
it already is, the documentation isn't visible or hasn't been visible
enough to the public.

After all, Unicode is a reference standard, among other things. It's
like the detail about parsing of >> in C++: this sort of thing might not
matter in everyday coding, but as soon as someone manages to abuse a
security hole by going through silent (un(der)documented) assumptions,
there is a problem. Even if not, it's nice to have things be
descriptively complete in the IT world.

Stephan