RE: pre-HTML5 and the BOM

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:45:13 -0700

Leif Halvard Silli <xn dash dash mlform dash iua at xn dash dash mlform
dash iua dot no> wrote:

> So, in a way, the ZWNBSP - or any other non-ASCII character (it would
> in fact be better to use U+200B, to reserve the U+FEFF for its
> designated BOM purpose) could serve as a UTF-8 "sniff character" not
> only when it is the first character of the document, but also
> elsewhere in documents. And this already happens ...

My normal signature block includes a soft hyphen, U+00AD, which is <C2
AD> in UTF-8, for test purposes and as a hint that the message is UTF-8.
The Web interface from which I'm sending this particular message may or
may not preserve this character.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­