Re: pre-HTML5 and the BOM

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua_at_xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:54:38 +0400

John W Kennedy, Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:48:15 -0400:
> On Jul 18, 2012, at 4:21 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> On my OS X 10.7 computer, then TextEdit does sniff UTF-8 (without the
>> BOM).
>
> It does indeed have a sniffing feature, though it also appears to use
> the com.apple.TextEncoding extended attribute, when available (and
> which it, itself, will create, when saving).

Ah, I see I was wrong about TextEdit on OS X 10.5, then: For UTF-8
files that it *itself* saves, then it does — despite the lack of a BOM
- open them without defaulting to a legacy encoding.

(Wonder if the the so called 'resource fork' - the meta data companion
that OS X since version 10.6 abandoned - plays into this?)

But if saved by some app (that probably doesn't add the extended
TextEncoding attribute that you mention), then TextEdit for OS X 10.5
fails to open it as UTF-8.

--
Leif Halvard Silli