Re: Small i with/out dot and with arrow

From: Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 01:11:17 +0200

TUS 6.1 says:

"P9 [Guideline] When a nonspacing mark is applied to the letters i and j or
any other character with the Soft_Dotted property, the inherent dot on the
base character is suppressed in display."

Well, the term non-spacing mark is too wide here. Non-spacing marks include
marks below and more. This only applies to marks directly above, cc 230.

Later in TUS 6.1:
"Dotless Characters. In the Unicode Standard, the characters ³i² and ³j²,
including their variations in the mathematical alphabets, have the
Soft_Dotted property. Any conformant renderer will remove the dot when the
character is followed by a nonspacing combining mark above. T"...
That is (almost) correct: "combining mark [*directly*!] above" is cc 230.

UAX 44 has:
"Characters with a "soft dot", like i or j. An accent placed on these
characters causes the dot to disappear." That is sort of correct, but
apparently open to misinterpretation. This goes for all cc 230 ("Distinct
marks directly above"), and is not open to anyones own interpretation of
what an "accent" (or "diacritic") is. (Thus, e.g., "Other_math" plays
*no* role here.) And: 20D7;COMBINING RIGHT ARROW ABOVE;Mn;230;..., U+20D7
does have cc 230.

And yes, my original suggestion to the UTC did include "cc 230". Not sure
why that formulation sometimes seems to have deteriorated.

        /Kent K