Re: U+25CA LOZENGE - why is it in the "Mac OS Roman" character set (and therefore widespread in current fonts)?

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:18:54 -0700

I joined the Lisa group in late '83, and that was soon absorbed into the
Mac group.

As I recall, the MacRoman character set was already done, based on the
Lisa. This predated the laserwriter, so that wasn't the origin. The long
'f' was for use as a currency symbol (particularly for Gulden). I don't
know where the lozenge came from, but the purpose was not for mathematical,
logical, or accounting purpose (as Peter said). I believe the main purpose
was as an alternate bullet shape.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*