Re: Why no combining‐character form for U+00F8?

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:24:35 +0300

2012-08-16 20:53, Cristian Secară wrote:

> În data de Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:32:15 +0300, Erkki I Kolehmainen a scris:
>
>> Although the stroke is not a diacritic, keyboard drivers can be made
>> to generate atomic characters with stroke by using a dead letter key
>> for stroke together with the base character. The Finnish keyboard
>> layout standard SFS 5966 works in this manner for O (for e.g.,
>> Danish), L (Polish), H (Maltese), D (Northern Sámi), T (Northern
>> Sámi), and G (Skolt Sámi).
>
> Which character is used for the dead letter ? I mean the description in
> standard's text, or the symbol intended to be depicted on the key cap.

Functionally, it is called “Modifier: stroke”, and it placed in AltGr
position in the E00 key (which has the engraving “§”, so in that sense
the assignment is arbitrary) and duplicated in AltGr position in the C09
key, for “L”. This may sound odd, but the background is that E00 is
little used, but on the other hand it does not exist on many portable
device keyboards, so duplication was needed. The choice of “L” reflects
the practical situation that on Finnish keyboard, the modifier is most
often needed for the letter Ł (ł) in Polish names; for “ø”, we can use
AltGr Ö (since we see “ø” more or less as a counterpart to “ö”).

The recommended engraving for E00 is that in the right-hand position,
where engravings for AltGr symbols and functions are placed, is letter
“đ” so that the “d” part is gray. So far, there are no physical
keyboards that contain the recommended added engravings. That is, we use
old keyboards (usually Finnish-Swedish keyboards), so people just have
to learn the new assignments and remember them.

Yucca