Re: Why no combining-character form for U+00F8?

From: Ian Clifton <ian.clifton_at_chem.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 23:44:26 +0100

Andreas Prilop <prilop4321_at_trashmail.net> writes:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Ian Clifton wrote:
>
>> Having just been to Norway, and wanting to email my friends all
>> about it, I came across a curiosity: neither of the combining
>> characters U+0337, U+0338 seem to work in usually-reliable Emacs
>
> Windows:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International
>
> Unix:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key#Common_compose_combinations

Maybe I should explain at this point: I’ve got used to using combining
characters as a way of composing characters myself, using direct input
of characters by hexadecimal character number (<ctrl-X> 8 [RET] hex
[RET] in Emacs, <shift><ctrl-U>hex<shift><ctrl> in many Unix tools). Not
the most efficient method, but by remembering the character numbers of a
handful of combining accents, I can assemble most of the accented
characters I use. Perhaps I should start trying to learn these compose
combinations, as they’re shorter and mostly mnemonic.

--
Ian ◎