Re: Searching data: map countries to scripts

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:18:20 -0700

On 8/19/2012 4:05 PM, Manuel Strehl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a data source, that maps countries to scripts used in
> them. The target application is a visualization in the context of my
> codepoints.net site, namely http://codepoints.net/scripts.
>
> At the moment I've extracted the prefered scripts from CLDR (e.g., Cyrl
> for Russia, Latn for Germany and so on). Then I've added some historic
> scripts by looking at corresponding Wikipedia articles and did some
> manual updating. However, this yields a not really satisfactory result.
>
> For example, Russia has only Cyrl associated, while, as far as I can
> tell, at least Latn and Arab should also be mentioned, also perhaps some
> historic scripts.
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers if and where I could find data sets that aid
> me in completing and error-proofing this mapping.
>
> Cheers,
> Manuel

Heck, my utility bill in the US has Thai and Chinese characters (for the
fine print, not the statement itself). There's one more script, could be
Cyrillic, don't have one in front of me right now. In some areas of town
you'll find a mixture of scripts on shop signs as well.

The point it's easy to identify a majority script, but to get an
accurate handle on "other" scripts is going to be tricky, if not
impossible. And it all depends on your arbitrary decision of what other
scripts to include and on what basis.

A./