Re: Searching data: map countries to scripts

From: Ed Trager <ed.trager_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:14:00 -0400

IMO, mapping scripts at the level of whole countries is, for many if
not most countries, too crude. In India --one example among many we
could name-- it would be much more informative to map at at least the
level of states and territories.

WRT figuring out language->script mappings, remember that some
languages use multiple scripts, and that the script used has changed
especially in the modern historical period due to the forces of
politics, colonialism, and nationalism.

Rather than trying to find an existing data source for what you want
to do, I think you will be much better off starting your own project
to research all of this on a country-by-country basis where you
investigate where the populations of language speakers and script
users live at the regional, territorial, state, and provincial levels.