Re: Mayan numerals

From: Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:42:04 -0600

2012/8/16 Markus Scherer <markus.icu_at_gmail.com>

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn_at_gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see at least 20 glyphs for the (horizontal-barred)
>> numerals. Perhaps another 20 with the vertical forms, while we're at
>> it.
>

> What numeric values would they have?
>
> markus

If you meant, what would be the numeric value of their unicode code points,
then I'd say the basic horizontal-barred numerals should be 00015400 -
00015413. That puts the Mayan zero, a source of pride for modern Mayans, as
the very first Mayan character in unicode.

Earlier I spoke of approaching the ALMG to sponsor this. I could also talk
to Chol Samaj, a mayan-oriented publishing house which uses these glyphs
(as well as the calenderical ones - day-signs, month-signs, and long count
periods) regularly.

But I'm a newbie here on this list. I brought this issue up here, and there
weren't many non-joke responses. Does that mean I should give up? Or if
not, what should I do next?

Jameson