Re: Mayan numerals

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:28:10 -0700

On 8/20/2012 11:05 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 20 Aug 2012, at 18:42, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>
>> But I'm a newbie here on this list. I brought this issue up here, and there weren't many non-joke responses. Does that mean I should give up? Or if not, what should I do next?
> I don't think we should encode Mayan numbers until we are ready to encode the script as a whole,

I seem to recall that there's a definite interest in Mayan numbers
that's separate from the script as a whole. In the former group you'll
find mathematicians, physicists and astronomers who don't necessarily
need the full script, as Mayan scholars or archeologists would. In fact,
the Mayan numbers probably have an altogether wider audience.

So why would you hold them back?

> In any case, just doing a subset of Mayan doesn't make sense.

That assertion stands a bit on it's own, I'm afraid.

A./