Re: Searching data: map countries to scripts

From: Manuel Strehl <boldewyn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:58:04 +0200

First of all, thanks for all the answers.

It's quite interesting for me to learn, that data here is such
fragmented. As calligrapher, who once was delighted to learn about the
Latf script tag in the context of RFC 5646 et al., I guess I was way
too naive when starting the scripts part of codepoints.net.

@Doug Ewell: Yes, I wondered, why that was added to Unicode, when I
read about Shavian first (in the context of Unicode codepoints).

@Asmus Freytag: Thanks for the pointer! It seems however to become a
completely new and open-ended project to collect that data. Anyway it
goes way beyond the scope I planned for codepoints.net, where the
focus lies on individual codepoints, and I wanted to give a convenient
way to find those "on the globe".

My next step will be presumably, to focus on ISO 15924 scripts and
there the ones actually used in Unicode. When I can get that into a
reasonable shape (in reasonable time) without digging through
mountains of data, it would suffice for codepoints.net.

Apart from that collecting the data about scripts in use seems still
to be an interesting topic. I'll think about a way to collect, present
and maintain such a database.

Cheers,
Manuel