Re: Mayan numerals

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:53:09 -0700

On 8/23/2012 4:13 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2012, at 23:58, David Starner wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:
>>> We must encode Mayan properly.
>> We must encode what people are currently using; stuff that no one is actually setting in type is of lesser interest. Some script that scholars don't entirely understand should not block encoding of characters that are in modern productive use.
> Mayan has been deciphered. What are you on about?

Just mentally substitute "scholar don't entirely understand" by "isn't
fully understood for encoding purposes". It really doesn't matter much
whether the complexity is in deciphering or in determining the encoding
model - fact is, it's not expected to be worked on for an extended period.

And precisely that complexity may be moot, because the presumption based
on the claim presented is that the current, modern use of the digits
bypasses that complexity.

A./