Re: Mayan numerals

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 02:57:41 +0100

On 24 Aug 2012, at 00:45, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> On 08/23/2012 06:27 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
>> They're already using it without Unicode, so why not let them keep doing what they are doing until we are ready to do a proper job.
>
> That's a chicken-and-egg argument. By such reasoning, why encode ANY new scripts? They're all scraping by somehow already, aren't they (and you can be sure they are, if only by font tricks and transliterating.) I don't feel that is an argument worthy of consideration at all.

Nonsense, Mark. We never said we don't want to encode Mayan. We don't have the resources to do it right now, including contacts with Mayanists who are interested and willing to work with us on it. And I doubt very much that any time before December is a good time to approach any of them.

>> Tengwar has been in the CSUR since 1993 and people have been using it without
>
> Almost a good counter-example. Tengwar has every right to have been encoded long since. Why should Mayan suffer because committees seem to drag their feet on fiction-related scripts?

That isn't why Tengwar hasn't moved forward so far.