Re: A strange symbol in a Soviet calendar

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:17:26 +0200

2012/9/5 Leo Broukhis <leob_at_mailcom.com>:
> The magnification of the attached fragment is about 2x compared to
> what it was on the calendar page if viewed on a 100 dpi display.
> There are only two pages surviving, and the second one doesn't have that symbol.
>
> Ctrl-+ while viewing the attached image should help.
>
> I can see quite clearly that there is an arrow-like shape pointing to
> the upper-right corner.

In my opinon the shape visible inside a a side effect of the paper
texture, with inking defects the same size as those visible on the
surrounding letters.

My opinion is that the symbol inside the large square is a central
square dot normally completely filled. Just consider how the top-left
corner of the outer square is partially drawn (it was clearly intended
to have a regular thick stroke width) : the missing ink is even larger
than the smaller defects on the central shape.