Re: Compiling a list of Semitic transliteration characters

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 16:25:03 -0700

> It is also at least logically possible for there to be
> transliterations from Semitic writing systems to non-Roman writing
> systems.
I recall reading that replacing the Hebrew writing system by one based
on the Greek alphabet was once discussed in the academic community
there, due to very similar base letter shapes and the very much
non-1-to-1-ness of the phonology-writing mapping of even pointed modern
Hebrew/"Israeli". I don't know how well-known such proposals were and
how seriously they were considered.

> I'm not aware of such a thing, but one can imagine, for example,
> Russian work using a Cyrillic-based transliteration. Even if such
> things are not in scholarly use, I bet they are used in phrase books
> for travelers and that sort of thing. I have used Japanese tourist
> guides and phrase books that transliterate foreign languages into kana.
I have definitely seen dictionaries of Chinese and Japanese using
Russian transcription/transliteration schemes.

Stephan