Re: A strange symbol in a Soviet calendar

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 12:00:58 -0700

On 9/7/2012 8:12 AM, Leo Broukhis wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Julian Bradfield
> <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On 2012-09-04, Leo Broukhis <leob_at_mailcom.com> wrote:
>>> My question is about the symbol before the name Уот. Has anyone seen
>>> it before? Is it a NE arrow in a square or a spade? What does it mean?
>> Might it simply be an arbitrary dingbat used to separate the list of
>> associated saints from the list of revolutionary heroes? Old vs new
>> saints:-)
> It might be; or its usage could have been borrowed from somewhere. How
> common is it to use arbitrary dingbats for punctuation?

In book design it's relatively common to use some dingbats as dividers.
It's also not unheard of in more tabular listings. Even if the divider
is a more punctuation-like symbol (e.g. bullet, dash or whatever) if it
separates two lists it doesn't really function as a normal punctuation
character, the function of which is normally defined in the context of a
sentence.

A./