Re: Mayan numerals

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 17:45:45 +0100 (BST)

On Friday 21 September 2012, Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Now, the real question is, will we get a proposal for these so that matter can come before SC2?

I have been reading about Mayan numbers on the web.

There appear to be two collections of glyphs. One set of glyphs involves horizontal lines and dots and a picture of a shell and the other set of glyphs involves pictures.

Would the encoding encode two code points for each digit or would the encoding encode one code point for each digit and then use variation sequences to allow a choice to be requested?

Are the glyphs used vertically, one above the other? If so, using the set of glyphs that use lines and dots, how does one avoid the possibility of ambiguity between the numbers 10 and 105, both of which use two horizontal lines yet spaced differently?

I feel that it would be helpful if there were some published Private Use Area code points so that those of us who would like to make fonts that could perhaps be used in preparing the text of a formal proposal document for encoding into regular Unicode could be able to make fonts using Private Use Area mappings that are mutually compatible as to their encoding.

William Overington