Re: Mayan numerals

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:36:59 +0100

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:07:22 +0100
Marion Gunn <mgunn_at_egt.ie> wrote:

> If only it were left to national bodies, without any external
> commercial/political/other input, I believe that Mr Jameson Quinn's
> straighforwardf, modest and reasonable and absolutely uncontroversial
> request would be granted instanter, if Unicode reps would only
> withdraw their opposion, which, in my own personal opinion, after
> long consideration of stalling msgs seen to date, whose contents
> appear to be groundless from any ISO perspective I know.

The only objections and notes of caution I have seen have been made on
technical grounds. It may be that they apply to character properties
beyond the scope of ISO 10646, but several national bodies are likely
to consider those aspects, if only because it is to some extent in
their national interest that Unicode properties work, with the
possible added factor that it is in the interest of many of the people
serving on the national bodies that Unicode properties work.

On the basis of the discussion here, I expect the Mayan digits will
soon be encoded under some name or other, though your tirade hinders
rather than helps. The Irish vote may well decide the matter, though a
Unicode Technical Committee rejection would probably sway several
national bodies.

Richard.