Re: texteditors that can process and save in different encodings

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 22:47:37 -0700

> You very nearly never know which version of a character set a sender
> or receiver uses or requires, and even for documents, the best you can
> tell is which version(s) (plural) of a given character set a text can
> be encoded in. You can't tell whether any edits to a document that
> would require one of the newer versions would still be acceptable or
> not to the originator.

Yep. (I wasn't meaning to encourage use of older versions for outgoing
communication.) – The use case I have in mind is a passive one: having
an easy way, in a few clicks, to fix a text that looks slightly odd
without me having to do the work of researching older versions of
codepages myself.

Stephan