Re: texteditors that can process and save in different encodings

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 04:46:57 -0700

How does the old saying go "Be liberal in what you accept, be
conservative in what you emit".

In that sense, there's a place for a much wider array of input
encodings, coupled with a gentle insistence on not letting the user save
things in outdated formats.

In terms of which input sets are "basic", that should depend on how
likely the input is in that format. Whether you pick the top ten, top 5
or top 3 is a matter of choice, but I wouldn't confuse "basic" with
"recommended".

Locking users out from content isn't smart - helping them to migrate
data is.

A./