Re: texteditors that can process and save in different encodings

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:09:07 -0700

Metadata that is separate from the data has a way of being disassociated
from it. Annoying, but a fact of life. This can be as simple as file
creation dates not being preserved on copy.

Metadata that is contained in the same file as the data, has a way of
being incorrect. Look no further than HTML language tags or charset
declarations.

Then there is metadata that can be easily reconstituted from the data,
like file sizes, hash signatures or preview images (in many cases). They
are "meta" data only as a mater of convenience, since they don't add
information.

Unless there's a way to rebuild the metadata unambiguously or to enforce
that it is complete and correct, it's very hard to rely on it for any
particular purpose.

That issue isn't limited to a any particular vendor (whether major or
not), it's really in the nature of the beast.

A./