Re: Greek Astrology

From: Kalvesmaki, Joel <KalvesmakiJ_at_doaks.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 14:12:35 +0000

Byzantine authors had a great penchant for ligatures. Although I do not have expertise in Greek astrology, I do have some competence in other aspects of Byzantine literature (including some familiarity with manuscripts and inscriptions). Based on that experience, I feel I can safely say that any attempt to encode the four ligatures on the grounds discussed here would be an invitation to encode a host of other Byzantine Greek ligatures (for example, the standard cruciform invocative monograms: V. Laurent, La collection Orghidian [Paris, 1952], pl. lxx).

A formal proposal for these four ligatures would be premature. One should first understand the entire culture of Byzantine ligation, then determine what parts of that culture should be encoded, and which not.

Sincerely,

jk

--
Joel Kalvesmaki