Re: Missing geometric shapes

From: Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 23:54:22 +0100

Den 2012-11-08 14:34, skrev "Asmus Freytag" <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>:

> On 11/8/2012 2:27 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:

>>> I don't think Geometric Shapes have the mirror property.
>>>
>>> 2605;BLACK STAR;So;0;ON;;;;;N;;;;;
>>> 2606;WHITE STAR;So;0;ON;;;;;N;;;;;

The *chart* glyphs for these aren't same-sized (outer outline)...

>> Well, those are usually symmetric, so adding a mirror property
>> wouldn't change much.
>>
>>> In a Hebrew context you'd just choose the star you wanted
>>> (black-white vs white-black) and use it.
>>
>> That works well if the text is written by hand. If it is produced as
>> part of a script that better work the same for many languages,
>> symmetric swapping would really be very helpful.
>
> That may be, but that train has left the station a long time ago.
>
> The problem is that there are related symbols for which mirroring is not
> defined, and defining it for the half stars would make for an
> inconsistent solution, unless any other vertically divided symbols were
> mirrored as well.

Well, define 3 (4?) brand new characters of g.c. Sm, and the "half" one(s)
(and quarter ones, if those are included too) have the bidi mirrored
property... There are plenty of g.c. Sm chars that are bidi mirrored.
(E.g. 27E2-27E3, ⟢ ⟣ , which are four-pointed-starry.)

(note: 22C6;STAR OPERATOR;Sm;0;ON;;;;;N;;;;; has a too small glyph for this)

Maybe that is cheating a bit, but don't be surprised if someone actually
starts using them as math symbols (if and when included)...

    /Kent K