Re: Caret

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:39:00 GMT

On 2012-11-12, QSJN 4 UKR <qsjn4ukr_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> A caret is a flashing line, block, or other picture in the client area
> of a window, it indicates the place (between two characters) at which
> text will be inserted (or the edge of the text to be selected or
> deleted). What does it mean? Between? There is no "between" in the
> bidirectional text, the previous and the next character are not
> necessary nearby! There is no distinct place for the insertion because
> the place depends of direction of the inserted characters.

What exactly a caret/cursor means is dependent on the system. On my
editor, the cursor is not logically *between* characters, it's
logically *on* a character, so there is no ambiguity.

> Other example, without bidi. You see:
> preĢ|sent
> Where is your caret? After Ć©? after Ā Ģ ? between e and Ā Ģ ? Press

Again, it depends. A user-oriented editor will treat eĢ as a single
unit anyway, for text manipulations. In my programmer-oriented editor,
when the cursor is on e or Ā Ģ, the two codepoints are displayed
separately instead of combined, so again there is no ambiguity.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.