Re: Missing geometric shapes

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:13:54 +0100

2012/11/12 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>

> On 11/11/2012 9:26 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
>
> 2012/11/12 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
>

>> However, the half-filled, five pointed stars are "garden-variety" type
>> symbols, and, as I keep pointing out, they absolutely fall within the scope
>> of geometrical symbols for which there is ample precedent supporting both
>> plain text usage as well as a standardized encoding.
>>

> I oppose your argument of "garden-variety" type symbols because
> consistancy of this usge with a defined pattern is not demonstated,
> included in the precise domain where they are found.
>
> That does not mean that it's not important to show that there is "at least
> one" usage for that that is consistent with plain-text.

That's exactly what I meant. There must be at least one precise domain
where this usage is consistent. I certainly NOT meant ONE AND ONLY ONE. So
all the rest about the (for example) use of the full stop for various
purposes is not relevant: at least some of these uses are consistent in
their domain.

But for now we've not seen any one for the half stars, and I don't know why
you think they will be more important to encode than the various other
representations of ratings or similar concepts like gauges which largely
overwhelm in all these many variants seen the particular cases where an
half star MAY very infrequently be used without any consistency, as if it
was a sort of "standard" (the purpose of Encoding in Unicode is to endorse
such existant standard or norm, either national or international, or
adopted by a measurable community over some large enough period, and not in
isolated documents, whatever their medium, electronic or physical).