Re: Caret

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:03:14 +0100

Highlighted selection is less a problem because this involves separate
actions to mark the start and end of selection. And an explicit move action
or separate clicks : the user chose himself to perform those actions and
knows where he comes from and where he is going to. In addition the
selction is marked as a whole, and is not just two tiny positions.

Yes it is often possible to show different caret forms, even in a TTY
terminal (they typically use a block-type caret, it has to remain
rectangular, but it may still vary in size and poition in the character
cell. But sometimes it will be dependant on the TTY protocol which offers
limit control of their "cursor" and very limited presentation options.