Re: latin1 decoder implementation

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:31:09 +0200

2012-11-17 0:20, Michael Everson wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2012, at 22:12, Buck Golemon <buck_at_yelp.com> wrote:
>
>> That's my personal understanding as well, but can you help me find documentation that I can show to my skeptical workmates?
>
> "It is the basis for most popular 8-bit character sets, including Windows-1252 and the first block of characters in Unicode." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1

That’s not really adequate. Wikipedia is neither authoritative nor
accurate, and should not be cited in any dispute, except as opinions of
unnamed people.

Being “basis” for something is rather vague, and in this case quite
misleading, since Unicode and windows-1252 disagree on the assignments
of several code positions.

It is the Unicode Standard that should be cited (as Doug Ewell did) in
matters of Unicode code assignments.

Yucca