Re: latin1 decoder implementation

From: Buck Golemon <buck_at_yelp.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:52:54 -0800

Thanks all. My current understand is such:

Latin1 explicitly gives no semantics to several byte values (for example
0x81), but acknowleges that other standards will define their semantics.
Unicode provides code-points with equally-undefined semantics so that these
bytes can pass through without change.
This allows a byte-level system using control codes in those ranges to
interact with a unicode-aware system, without loss of information.

Does that summarize well?