Re: cp1252 decoder implementation

From: Buck Golemon <buck_at_yelp.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:36:21 -0800

1)
I did this and was criticized for inventing my own "frankensteined"
encoding, although I believe it's conceptually consistent with the idea
that cp1252 is to be used as a superset of latin1.
It's true that what I wrote is not consistent with the unicode.orgdefinition:
tp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1252.TXT<ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP1252.TXT>

2)
The surrogateescape error handler doesn't seem exactly like what I want,
and I we're not on python3 yet, but "PEP 293 -- Codec Error Handling
Callbacks" seems usable.
I can define for myself a "c0c1" error handler that replaces bytes in those
ranges with the equal unicode character, per the standard.

> There is a simple, one-to-one mapping between 7-bit (and 8-bit) control
codes and the
> Unicode control codes: every 7-bit (or 8-bit) control code is numerically
equal to its corresponding Unicode code point.

I'm hoping, though, that we can come to agreement that defining the five
undefined cp1252 bytes as control characters, above, is beneficial, or at
least not harmful, in all cases.