RE: cp1252 decoder implementation

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:18:06 -0700

Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

> But may be we could ask to Microsoft to map officially C1 controls on
> the remaining holes of windows-1252, to help improve the
> interoperability in HTML5 with a predictable and stable behavior
> across HTML5 applications. In that case the W3C needs not doing
> anything else and there's no need to update the IANA registry.

Other than the fact that two Microsoft people have already said they
aren't changing the definition of CP1252, it seems a little odd to have
a mixture of 27 graphical characters with five of the least-used C1
controls. In a real 1252 environment these five characters (81, 8D, 8F,
90, 9D) will not occur, as mentioned before, and in a normal Web-based
8859-1 environment (neither embedding 8859-1 within 2022 nor using an
ISO 6429 terminal) the chances are equally remote.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this:

> if the W3C was not referencing the Microsoft standard itself but a
> standardized version of it

implying that a Microsoft standard isn't a standard.

But in any event, also as mentioned before, this entire discussion is
moot for HTML5, since WHATWG knows better than Microsoft or Unicode how
CP1252 is really defined:

http://encoding.spec.whatwg.org/index-windows-1252.txt

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA