Re: xkcd: LTR

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:39:43 +0100

I've never said that user agents had to "'write" the prolog. It's the
reverse: yes authors have to write a prolog (but the prolog is perfect here
so this is not the fault of the author). Why do have to use this prolog,
it's exactly because user agents will have to "read" it (not "write" it),
as it is expected for validating that this is effectively an HTML5 content
(the "Content-Type: text/html" is clearly not enough, it is exactly the
same as HTML4 or all past versions of HTML, working in quirk mode or not).

By your assertion, all HTML5 browsers would then need to parse HTML4 as if
it was HTML5, using its strict definition that are not compatible with
HTML4 (even if we ignore the quirks mode), or all past versions. HTML5
parsing is triggered by the presence of the required HTML5 prolog.