Re: First known use of the word, "email" (1978)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:10:30 -0700

Philippe Verdy wrote:

> Is this capitalisation of "T-shirt" mandatory ? (of course the shape
> of the letter recalls the shape of the suit) I've seen frequently
> "t-shirt" (sometimes "tee-shirt" as well) when the term was
> lexicalized, with a clear pronunciation and understanding by itself,
> without reference to the shape of the letter (which is not always the
> actual shape of the suit).

"T-shirt" with a capital T is by far the most common; "t-shirt" and
"tee-shirt" and such have mostly dropped out of use. Both "E-mail" and
"e-mail" (and "email") are common. As usual with English, this is a
matter of what is and isn't, not what should or shouldn't be.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­