Re: Context-specific markup brackets (from Re: Why 17 planes?)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:37:07 +0100

Why multiple pairs ?

If the intent is just to mark within the encoded text those sequences that
are not interpretable as plain-text alone, because it is mixing characters
from an upper-layer syntax, and characters from a pictographic script, a
single pair of format controls would be enough.

BEGIN PICTOGRAPHIC MARKUP
END PICTOGRAPHIC MARKUP

This would leave completely the markup languages outside of Unicode, when
these scripts are just encoded for a subset of base pictograms, but not
their layout. which uses an unspecified markup language. If the text is
monolingual, these are not needed. But of the text is multilingual and
contains sequences from a normal Bidi-compatible script, then the role of
these controls will just be to disable temporarily the markup language for
these types of embedding.