RE: wrongly identified geometric shape

From: Michel Suignard <michel_at_suignard.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 02:34:25 +0000

> From: philip chastney
> anybody converting a document currently using Wingding fonts to one using Unicode values and Unicode fonts instead, using the transliteration proposed in N 4384, will find their squares somewhat diminished in size (in this case, by one third)
>
>this is because the terminology used for "size" in N 4384 is at variance with the terminology used heretofore in UTR 25

No such a thing as a Unicode font. We produce the charts using complicated size adjustment and 100s fonts provided by various providers and then anyone is free to create their own. There is nothing normative about relative size. TR25 does some work at classifying these relative sizes and this is in fact explored in detail in section 5 of N4384 (that I wrote). N4384 aims at expanding the size set exposed in TR25 while staying compatible with its principle.

Some reality check with common Math fonts show that they tend to use larger size for their geometric shapes than what is presented in the current chart (and in TR25). In fact I am now working in harmonizing the rest of the chart geometric shapes with the Wingdings set and that may result in some size adjustment in future charts. I have been looking at the STIX fonts for example. This would in fact solves the concern expressed here by making 25FC and 25A0 a tad bigger.

Michel
PS finally decided to rejoin the Unicode DL after a long absence. For the ones that don’t know me, I am the project editor for 10646 and do a big chunk of the preliminary chart work for both Unicode and 10646 and have also done a lot of work in the symbol area.