Re: "Interoperability is getting better" ... What does that mean?

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:41:41 +0200

2012-12-30 23:22, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> I have heard it stated that, in the context of character encoding and decoding:
>
> Interoperability is getting better.

Where? It seems that this is what *you* are saying.

> Do you have data to back up the assertion that interoperability is getting better?

Do you?

> Below is a summary of my understanding of interoperability.

This seems to revolve around just the encoding of web pages,
specifically the problem that sometimes the encoding has not been
properly declared.

I haven’t seen any data on the relative frequency of such problems, and
I don’t know what such data would be useful for.

But in my experience, such problems have been become more common, mainly
because people using different encodings. One reason is that people
think UTF-8 is favored but don’t quite know how to use it, e.g.
declaring UTF-8 but using an authoring tool that does no actually
produce UTF-8 encoded data.

Yucca