Re: "Interoperability is getting better" ... What does that mean?

From: Naena Guru <naenaguru_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 17:53:36 -0600

It used to be that during HTML 4 days ISO8859-1 was the default character
set for pages that used SBCS (those that belong to Basic Latin and Latin
Extended-1). At least that is what the Validator (http://validator.w3.org/)
said.

(By the way, Unicode is quietly suppressing Basic Latin block by removing
it from the Latin group at top of the code block page (
http://www.unicode.org/charts/) and hiding it under different names in the
lower part of the page.)

Now the validator complains correctly that some characters in those pages
do not belong to ISO-8859-1, if you use bullet points, ellipse etc. It says
they come from Windows-1252. That is true. If you declare these pages as
UFT-8, then it throws off *all* Latin-1 characters and the web pages show
character-not-found glyph.

Windows-1252 replaces all Control codes (first 32 characters) in Latin-1
page with some common characters used by Eastern European languages and
some punctuation marks.

There is one main consideration in the mind of the web developer: Make the
file as small as possible. Try this: Make a text file in Windows Notepad
and save it in ANSI, Unicode and UTF-8 formats. ANSI file (Windows-1252)
will be the smallest. Why should people make their pages larger just to
satisfy some peoples idea of perfection? It reminds me of the Plain Text
and language detection myths.